Do you want to start a WordPress blog and make a passive income online? You’re in the right place. In this article we will guide you step-by-step to how to start a WordPress blog and make it a full-time business.
Blog is a platform where you write content(posts/articles) of your interest, knowledge, experiences, ideas and more.
Blogging is a great way to connect with people and get your ideas out there. It is one of the best means to make money online from home. When you do blogging professionally you actually make money!
Genuine reasons to start a blog:
- If you want to get rid of 8 to 5 job and live boss free life – financial freedom.
- If you want to earn a passive income. Passive income is a money which you earn despite not working on daily basis or in other words an income which requires very little effort to maintain.
- If you want to work from anywhere without any location, time or travel restriction.
In order to know How much traffic and blog posts required to make at least $4000 per month in the first 2 years of your blogging journey, must go through the section “How Long It Takes To Get Traffic & Earn An Income – Timeline“.
WordPress is the most popular content management system, a robust free-tool to create and manage websites and blogs. According to an estimate 38% to 40% websites on the internet are powered by WordPress.
To launch a professional WordPress blog you need three things (1) Domain (2) Web Hosting (3) Blog Theme.
This article explains each and everything so thoroughly that a person having zero knowledge about blogging & WordPress can create and start his own blog.
In this article we will cover following topics:
- Choose A Blogging Niche
- Choose A Blogging Platform – Why WordPress?
- What Is Domain & Web Hosting
- How To Buy Domain & Web Hosting
- How To Install WordPress
- How To Install WordPress Theme
- How To Create Your First Blog Post
- How To Write An Ideal Blog Post
- How To Grow Blog Traffic
- How To Earn Money From Blog / Blog Monetization
- How Long It Takes To Get Traffic & Earn An Income – Timeline
- Important & Helpful WordPress Tutorials
Tip: If you can’t see the content of an image clearly click on it to open in full size.
01. Choose A Blogging Niche
Niche is the main topic of your blog around which you will be writing content or in other words it is the area of interest where you are good at writing.
Technology, finance, travel, lifestyle, food, fashion, blogging, photography, marketing, animals, sports, online earning etc, are some of the popular niches. You can find hundreds of thousands of sub-niches within them.
A blog could be multi-niche as well as a specific niche. We recommend you to go for a specific niche because the success rate of single niche blog is higher as compared to multi-niche. Here are four reasons why you should choose single niche:
- Your blog is ranked higher in search engines(Google, Bing, etc).
- You get a uniform traffic relevant to your niche.
- It builds trust among your blog visitors that you have got a command and knowledge over your content.
- People are inclined to buy the products or services that you recommend because of the trust that it builds, which ultimately results in making more money.
People often get confused when it comes to choosing a blogging niche like, what is their real area of interest where they are actually good at!
Niche should be such that you enjoy talking about.
Think about your hobbies, your habits, daily routine, what type of solutions people ask from you, what do you watch most of the time, what do you play, etc, you might get a hint for your niche.
One way to find a right niche is by writing down the niche topic on a paper, under that topic write the article titles on which you can write content. This will help you to know that how good you are at particular niche.
You can also search on Google like “Trending niches for blogging”, “Most profitable niches for blogging”, “Best niches for blogging”, etc.
In order to know the monthly search volume of your niche keyword on Google, you can use the free Google Keyword Planner Tool. You will also get plenty of keywords relevant to your searched niche keyword.
02. Choose A Blogging Platform
A blogging platform is a content publishing service where you can create your blog or website. There are many blogging platforms such as Blogger, Weebly, Wix, etc, but the most popular blogging platform is WordPress.
According to an estimate 38% to 40% websites/blogs on the internet are powered by WordPress. From this percentage you can get an idea how popular is WordPress.
There are two main reasons why WordPress is so popular:
- There are thousands of themes and plugins for any type of website i.e personal, eCommerce, News & Magazine, blog, portfolio, etc.
- WordPress is free and open source means you can customize anything in WordPress like code, functions, themes & plugins, according to your requirements.
After WordPress, Blogger is the most popular blogging platform. It is developed in Python language. All its blogs are hosted by Google & accessed by subdomain “.blogspot.com” like “www.example.blogspot.com”.
There has always been a debate between WordPress and Blogger like which one is better for blogging. We have created a separate article where we have thoroughly compared both blogging platforms.
03. What Is Domain & Web Hosting
Domain is simply the address of your website that you type in URL bar to access your website. It locates your website on internet, like “www.meersworld.net” is a domain.
How to Choose a Domain?
Choosing a right domain name is very important for your blog. Often people get confused when it comes to choosing a domain name. So for your help, here are some recommendations to how to choose a right domain name:
- It should be easy to pronounce.
- It should be easy to remember.
- It should be easy to type.
- It should be brandable.
- It shouldn’t be too long.
- Choose the popular domain extensions like “.com”, “.net”, “.org”.
- Avoid hyphens and numbers.
- Consider using a keyword that reflects your website.
- If you want to create a personal blog you can use your own name as well.
Web hosting is a space or location where you upload/install the content and files of your website/blog. Once you upload/install your website on web hosting it becomes live and people can access via the domain of your website.
In the section “How To Install WordPress” we have shown how WordPress is installed in web hosting.
04. How To Buy Domain & Web Hosting
You must have a clear idea about domain and web hosting, now follow these steps to buy domain and web hosting.
Here we are guiding you to how to buy domain and web hosting on HostGator, one of the leading and cheapest web hosting providers in the world, hosting 2 million+ websites worldwide.
Don’t forget to use our coupon BRANDAPR23 to get an amazing discount.
- Go to official website of HostGator. Alternative to HostGator, Namecheap Hosting.
- Choose your hosting plan by clicking the “Buy now”.
- Enter the name of your desired domain and choose an extension like “.com”, “.net”, “.online”, “.site”, “.store”, “.tech”, “.space”, “.club”, “.info”, “.org”, “.co”, “.me”, etc.
- Every extension owns a different price, some extension worth less whereas some extensions worth high.
- If your desired domain is already taken by someone it will suggest you relevant domains with different extensions. Here we have entered “smithglasses.com” which is available and free for 1 year with the “.com” extension.
- Tick you desired domain and scroll down.
- Untick the “Domain Privacy Protection” because it is adding the cost of ($14.95 per year). Though it is not necessary, but if you wish you can add this.
- The purpose of Domain Privacy Protection is to protect your personal data in the Whois records from unauthorized people.
- Choose your Billing Cycle.
- Choose 12 months or more. You can also see that for long billing-cycle periods it is offering more discounts. The 12 months mean you will pay once in a year, 24 months mean you will pay once in 2 years, and 36 months mean you will pay once in 3 years. With some annual billing cycles you get domain for free.
- Enter your Email and a secure Password to create your HostGator account.
- Enter a 4 digit “Security PIN”. The Security PIN identifies you as the owner of your account.
- Tip: Save this information i.e Email, Password & PIN in a Notepad file, in case you forget you can find there.
- Enter your Billing Info like your First Name, Last Name, Phone Number, Address, Country.
- Choose your Payment Type, Credit Card or PayPal.
- Choose your City, State, Province, etc.
- Enter the Zip Code of your City. You can find Zip Code on Google.
- Fields with red stars are compulsory means you can’t leave them empty.
- Here you can see some additional optional features. If you add them they will add cost to your package. The cost of every additional service is mentioned.
- It is up to you whether you want to add these features or not, but we highly recommend to add “SiteLock Essentials”. It protects your site from malware and malicious attacks and also build visitor’s trust on your website.
- Here you can preview your order before the Checkout.
- Enter our coupon code BRANDAPR23 and click “Validated”. You can see the Discount of $108.95 for this order.
- Tick the agreement.
- Click “Checkout Now!” to complete your order.
- Once you complete your order and successfully purchase hosting package you will get Welcome Email containing the information relevant to your new hosting package.
- Tip: Copy your email information into a Notepad file and save in your computer. Once your save this information delete this email because it contains important credentials.
- The “Your Control Panel:” is the URL to access your cPanel. The cPanel is the place from which you control and manage your website and email accounts.
- The cPanel URL will be similar to this: “https://gator1111.hostgator.com:2083“.
- The “Username” is your cPanel username.
- The “Password” is your cPanel password.
- This information will be used in the next step.
05. How To Install WordPress
Since you have bought your hosting package successfully now it is time to install WordPress.
- Open your cPanel using your cPanel URL as provided in your welcome email. It will be similar to this: https://gator1111.hostgator.com:2083.
- Enter your cPanel Username.
- Enter your cPanel Password.
- Click “Log in” button.
- Scroll-down to “SOFTWARE” section.
- Click “Softaculous Apps Installer”.
- Softaculous is an auto installer that helps to install commercial and open source web applications like WordPress, Joomla, Magento etc, on your web hosting account.
- Click “WordPress”.
- Click “Install” to start the installation process.
- Click the “Install” button. It will install a fresh copy of WordPress.
Now you have to fill some information here:
- In “Choose the version you want to install” select the latest WordPress version. By default the latest version of WordPress is selected.
- In the “Choose Installation URL” settings select “https://” in “Choose Protocol” and select your domain in “Choose Domain“. Leave the “In Directory” field empty. If “wp” is already written in this field, remove it.
- In the “Site Settings” enter your website name in the “Site Name” and enter the website description in the “Site Description”. The Site Description tells visitors what your website is all about, so write a meaningful description.
- In the “Admin Username” enter a username.
- In the “Admin Password” enter a secure password.
- In the “Admin Email” enter you email.
- This is the information that you will use to login into your website’s admin section.
- In the “Select Language” choose your desired language.
- Leave these sections i.e “Select Plugin(S)”, “Advanced Options” & “Select Theme” as it is.
- If you want to choose a free WordPress theme you can choose one here, it will be installed with WordPress, but if you want to install a professional WordPress theme follow the “How To Install WordPress Theme” after this section.
- Click the “Install” button at the bottom.
- The installation process will be started…
- Once the WordPress is installed successfully you will get a Congratulations message.
- It will also show you the admin section link(Administrative URL) of your website. It will be similar to “https://www.example.com/wp-admin/“. The “example.com” will be replaced with your domain.
- Your WordPress admin section will be similar to this. You can publish posts, You can change settings, You can change/install themes, You can install/uninstall plugins, etc.
- To update the basic settings of your website click “Settings”.
- Click “General”.
Fill the General Settings information here:
- In the “Site Title” enter the name of your website or something relevant to your website. This information is displayed on two places (1) Top of your browser beside favicon (2) Google search results.
- In the “Tagline” provide a brief description about your website.
- In the “WordPress Address (URL)” enter your domain address like “https://example.com”.
- In the “Site Address (URL)” enter your domain address again.
- In the “Administration Email Address” enter your email address. You can use either your private email address or your public email address such as Gmail’s, Yahoo’s, etc. Private email address is the one with your domain address such as “email@example.com”, “firstname.lastname@example.org”, etc. Learn: How To Create Email Account With Domain Name – Business Email
- It also asks you for Site Language, Timezone, Date Format, City etc. Once you are done, click “Save Changes” at bottom.
06. How To Install WordPress Theme
Congratulations! you’re done with WordPress installation, now it is time to install a professional WordPress theme.
Though you will find free WordPress themes, but always remember that free WordPress themes need lot of customization and fixes. In other words if you use free WordPress theme you might need someone’s help to customize it.
Instead of using free theme you can buy an affordable responsive WordPress theme for ONCE, so that you won’t need any customization or fixes, everything will be ready for you.
Always remember that first impression is your last impression. If you use poorly designed unprofessional theme your blog visitor might not visit your blog again.
Do you know that beautifully designed themes motivate bloggers to write content and stay connected with blog! One can proudly tell that this is my blog.
Blogs with professional WordPress themes are ranked higher in search engines because they are developed according to SEO guidelines. SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization, is the process of improving the quality and quantity of blog traffic to a blog or a blog page from search engines such as Google , Bing, Yahoo, etc.
The Themeforest is world’s largest theme marketplace that contains thousands of affordable themes for any type of niche or website like Blogs, Portfolio, Personal, Travel, Review, News & Magazine blogs, Corporate, Technology, Entertainment, eCommerce, Sports, Gadgets, Gear, Fashion, Education, Freelancing, Clothing, Retail, Real Estate, Wedding, Photography, etc.
- Go to official website of ThemeForest and search for your desired WordPress theme.
- Watch live preview of your WordPress theme, explore its features, read reviews, and purchase it.
- Once you purchase a blog theme you will get your download link within seconds.
Read this step-by-step tutorial to install WordPress theme downloaded from the Theme Forest.
Every professional WordPress theme comes with builtin plugins, in case you want extra WordPress plugin to add more features later, you can find WordPress plugins on Code Canyon.
WordPress Plugins are programs made up of one or multiple functions that are installed in your WordPress website to enhance it with new features like contact form, sliders, mega menus, gallery, currency switcher, timetable, management systems, online store, online booking system etc. Some plugins are free-of-cost and some are paid.
- Go to official website of CodeCanyon and search for your desired plugin.
07. How To Create Your First WordPress Blog Post
Everything is done, now it is time to learn how to create your first WordPress blog post. In this section we will give you a quick introduction to WordPress Editor.
- Login to your WordPress Admin.
- Click “Post”.
- Click “Add New”.
- In the “Add title” enter your post title.
- In “Start writing or type / to choose a block” you can write your content and add media, as we have shown below.
- Here you can see that we have added Title and some text.
- At your right side there is a Settings section.
- Here you can see the “Permalink”. Permalink is the permanent URL of your post. WordPress automatically creates this URL from your post Title.
- You can modify this URL in “URL Slug” box. You can preview your URL under the “View Post”. Use hyphen(-) after every word.
- You can see a “Block” tab along with “Post”. Block tab contains HTML elements that you use in your blog post such as paragraph, image, headings etc.
- When you edit or write a post in your WordPress Editor you will see a quick toolbar which contains different editing options such as element styles, text alignment, bold, italic, link, etc.
- Click the three vertical dots to open options such as copy, move to, duplicate, remove, etc.
- Click the blue “+” icon at your top left corner. When you click it will turn black and there will appear a sidebar.
- It will list plenty of HTML elements, media, design, widgets, embeds, etc. When you hover over an icon you will see a demo at your right side.
- You can also find directly from the Search bar.
- To close the sidebar click the “+” icon again.
- In order to switch from Visual Editor to Code Editor click the three three vertical dots at top right corner.
- Click “Code Editor”. Code Editor shows you the HTML code of your post.
- Categories and Tags are two primary ways to group content on your blog. Categories are general labels whereas Tags are specific label. Tags describe your posts in more detail.
- They help to organize your articles and also have a significant role in post’s SEO.
- Expand “Categories” & “Tags” from the sidebar to link your article to different categories and tags.
- For example your blog is about writing media reviews, your possible categories could be Books, Film, etc. Let’s say you are writing an article on action film “Mission Impossible” your possible tags could be action film, Tom Cruise, David Ellison, Christopher McQuarrie, etc.
- Click “Excerpt” from the sidebar to add a short summary or snippet of your blog post.
- Click “Discussions” to choose whether you want to allow “Comments” and “Pingbacks & Trackbacks” on your post.
- The “Pingbacks & Trackbacks” are a special type of comment created when you link to another blog post. The pingback tells you and other blog visitors: “Hey! Someone put a link to your post on their website”.
- Some SEO experts suggest not to allow “Pingbacks & Trackbacks”. Only allow if you are sure to use them.
- So it was just an overview of WordPress Advance Editor, you can explore lot of other things.
08. How To Write An Ideal Blog Post
Since you have learned how to create your WordPress blog post now it is time to learn how to write an ideal blog post.
If you follow these guidelines from the day one of your blogging career you will be able to bring good organic traffic i.e the traffic from the search engines(Google, Bing, etc).
The art of writing an ideal blog post is simple, write to impress the readers by keeping the SEO guidelines in your mind, as we have discussed in this section. Your blog posts should be so good & solution-oriented that people would love to stay on your blog and visit again.
Focus on your users, create unique and quality content.
The majority of SEO experts are of the opinion that blog post length should be around 1000 words to 25000 words. In general lengthy articles are ranked better in Google.
Don’t write irrelevant and repetitive content just to make your article lengthy. If you do then always remember that Google algorithms are AI & semantic based, they identify such articles and never allow to rank in Google.
The title of your blog is always very important, should not be too long. Always write the main keywords in the title. When you write your post content don’t go too far from the title, remain within the scope of your post title. You can use the Google Keyword Planner to check the search volume for a keyword.
When you write a blog post always keep smartphones in your mind because majority of people use smartphones as compare to computers, and that’s why while indexing & ranking Google gives more priority to those posts and blogs which are mobile-friendly.
Your paragraphs should not be more than 2 to 4 lines. If you write lengthy paragraphs that will be too large for smartphone readers.
First two paragraphs of your post are always very important because you can capture the attention and trust of readers. Your first paragraph must contain the key phrase of your title.
Here are some ideas for you:
- Be short and direct. Ask a question or two like “Do you want to know how to create your first blog post? Here are 10 tips”.
- Share a shocking or interesting relevant fact or statistics like “Do you know that 40% websites on internet are powered by WordPress?”.
- Share something personal.
- Start with a reader’s a question like “Do you have tips for creating your first blog post? I have… “.
- You can share a relevant quote.
- Briefly summarize the solution or what readers are going to expect in the detail post.
Always format your post content. Use heading tags H1, H2, H3, bullets, numbering, spacing etc, to properly format your blog post. There should be only one H1 in your blog post.
The Text color should not be vague, standard color is black. Font-size should be at least 16px. The Font-family should be simple and easily readable.
Make your posts more attractive by using relevant images, video or audio. Don’t use unnecessary images as they increase the loading time of a page. Your post content should be more than images.
Write a good conclusion at bottom of the post, if necessary.
Always use optimized images means before you upload images reduce their size. Don’t upload poor quality and large size images. Give every image a meaningful name. Don’t name your images like image 1, image 2 etc. Image name should be relevant to your post title.
After uploading an image must write the Title Text & Alt Text. Always remember that a good number of visitors come to your blog by clicking images on Google.
Use Link Attributes in your links. To know more about link attributes i.e “nofollow” and “sponsored”, go through this article:
09. How To Grow Blog Traffic
Most of the bloggers give up on blogging after doing for a month or two when they see very little traffic coming into their blog. Always remember that it takes time for new blogs to bring traffic.
If you consistently create blog posts around your niche by keeping the guidelines in you mind, as we suggested in the above section “How to write an ideal blog post”, nothing can stop your blog to bring traffic from different sources such as Google, Social Media, Backlinks, Forums etc.
Always remember that consistency is the key to success in blogging. It helps you to identify your mistakes and blunders. As the time will pass solutions will come naturally to you, and you will learn what ranks and what doesn’t.
Try to publish one article per day or at least 3 to 4 articles per week. Google gives priority to those blogs which consistently publish new posts. Your blog posts will be indexed on Google faster when you consistently write content.
Soon after creating your WordPress blog submit your blog to Google Search Console, create Sitemap.xml, connect your blog to Google Analytics and Bing Webmaster Tools. We have provided the tutorial links and detail in the last section “Important and Helpful WordPress Tutorials”.
On your website traffic stats, check regularly on which searched keywords your blog and articles are ranked. Try to add relevant article links into those articles which are bringing traffic to your blog, also called interlinking.
If you create new posts relevant to searched keywords there is probability that your new articles will rank quickly in Google. For instance you write an article “Best WordPress News & Magazine Themes….”. People search on Google for “WordPress News & Magazine themes” and your article ranks in top 10 or 20 search results.
The keywords “Best WordPress News & Magazine themes” will be linked to your blog and article. Now if you write new blog posts around keywords “WordPress themes” there is high probability that your articles will be ranked and bring organic traffic to your blog.
You must have heard of backlinks, a good source for bringing traffic to your blog. Backlinks are links of websites from where your blog is getting traffic.
There are different ways to create backlinks like:
- You can share your blog post links on relevant YouTube video comments.
- You can share your blog post links on comments section of different blog articles.
- You can join different forums, Facebook groups etc, where you can answer queries by suggesting your relevant blog posts.
- By doing the collaboration with other web publishers. John will ask Smith to promote his blog and articles in Smith’s blog and Smith will ask John to promote his blog and article in John’s blog.
- The best way to create backlinks is by creating quality content, as we have discussed earlier how to create quality content. If you create quality and solution oriented content other websites will recommend your website and articles on their website and articles. You can get decent amount of traffic.
Social Media is a popular platform for bringing traffic to your blog. Create official pages or accounts on all popular social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram etc. Share your blog posts there.
Make sure your blog theme is responsive means it should be fully-compatible with any device like computer, smartphone or iPad. Mobile-friendly posts are indexed and ranked faster on Google. They bring lot of traffic once ranked in Google.
Maintain a low bounce rate. Bounce Rate is the percentage of people come to your page and leave without going to another page. It is not a good sign for your website if somebody visits your website and leaves without exploring other pages.
10. How To Earn Money From Blog
Now here comes the topic for which people create blogs i.e How to make money from your blog. Here we will introduce you to four different ways of earning money from your blog:
- Google AdSense
- Affiliate Marketing
- Paid Content
- Selling Your Own Product.
When to apply for Google AdSense or affiliate programs?
Most of the new bloggers always make this mistake like after writing 2 or 3 posts they start applying for Google AdSense or other affiliate programs.
When you create a new blog don’t focus on earnings, try to focus on writing posts and bringing organic traffic. Once you do that you can apply for AdSense and relevant affiliate programs.
Create these 4 important pages soon after your blog is ready:
- Disclaimer page
- About Us page
- Contact Us page
Google AdSense is one of the most popular online earning program to monetize your blog. It pays you certain amount of money for every genuine click depending on the location and CPC(Cost-Per-Click) of keywords.
How much you can earn from Google AdSense depends on different factors such as location, traffic, niche, RPM, CPC, etc.
In order to learn how to sign-up/apply for Google AdSense and connect your blog, read this tutorial:
In order to learn about Google AdSense like “How to increase your Google AdSense Revenue” & different AdSense terms like RPM, CTR & CPC, read this article:
There are many alternatives to Google AdSense for monetizing your blog, such as:
Affiliate Marketing is the process of earning certain amount of commission by selling a product or service of someone or a company via your affiliate links.
Let’s say you join an affiliate program of a mobile brand. You put the banner on your blog. A visitor comes to your blog, clicks the banner. He will be redirected to the product page of that mobile from where he can purchase. If he purchases a mobile your earn a certain amount of commission.
The commission rates vary from brand to brand and service to service. Some affiliate programs pay up to $1500 or 30% to 40% per sale, whereas some affiliate programs pay very little i.e from 0.5% to 5% per sale.
There are many ways to make money from affiliate marketing via your blog like banners, writing posts, etc. Single niche blogs are ideal for affiliate marketing as compare to multi-niche blogs.
There are thousands of affiliate programs available on internet for every niche. In order to become their affiliate partner you have to submit an application where you provide information about yourself & your blog.
After reviewing your application they will send you an email whether it is accepted or rejected. Some affiliate programs accept applications without review.
Some companies develop their own affiliate tracking software, but majority use third-party platforms like Impact Radius, CJ Affiliate, etc. You can find hundreds of affiliate programs on affiliate platforms.
Here are some of the popular affiliate programs & affiliate platforms:
- Impact Radius
- CJ Affiliate
- Amazon Associates
- Ebay Partner Network
- Envato Market
- Rakuten LinkShare
You can find plenty of blog posts on different affiliate programs on Meer’s World. Click Here.
If you want to know which one is better between Google AdSense & Affiliate Marketing, means from whom you can earn more money or which one is more suitable to your blog, read this article:
Paid or Sponsored Content
When your blog gets good reputation and brings good monthly traffic, websites and brands will contact you for promoting their products, services or websites via your blog posts or banners.
If they ask you for promoting articles you will get paid per article. Either they will provide you the content or they will ask you to write content for them and publish on your blog.
If they ask you to display banner you will get paid monthly, yearly or for certain period of time.
Sell Your Own Product
Selling your own product is also a great way to make money from your blog. Let’s say you have a food blog, you can recommend your own eBook of recipes to your blog visitors. Similarly you can sell tools, software, themes, gadgets, gear, machines, etc on your blog.
11. How Long It Takes To Get Traffic & Earn An Income
This section is very important, not many bloggers tell you about this information i.e How long it takes to start getting results from your blog. It is sort of a timeline, will help you to evaluate your blog after certain period of time, whether you are doing things right or wrong.
In the first 6 months of your blogging try to add as many content as possible because on average it takes 8 months for a blog to level off. Keep in mind that this timeline and stats are not ultimate, these are the average results gathered from different surveys, polls, interviews, etc by Income School.
Let’s go through this timeline, what it suggests and what it predicts:
In the first two months try to add at least 30 to 40 articles. By the end of 6 months if your blog contains 60 to 70 articles, it would be relatively good. You can expect a traffic of 150 views per month and income around 0$ to $5 per month.
In the next 6 months try to add more content consistently. In your first year(12 months) there should be at least 100 to 120 articles on your blog. You can expect a traffic of 5,000 to 10,000 views per month and an income of $100 to $220 per month, which is quite reasonable.
In the next 6 months you will have a good idea about your old articles like which articles were ranked and which were not. You can make improvements in your old articles and also you will have a good idea like on which topics you are going to write new articles.
In 18 months period having 130 to 150 articles on your blog, you can expect a traffic of 30,000 to 50,000 per month, and an income of $18,00 to $2,000 per month. As your blog gets older advertisers optimize ads for your blog and willing to pay you more to get their ads on your website..
In 24 months(2 years) having 160 to 200 articles in your blog, you can expect a traffic of 100,000 views per month and an income around $4000 per month. If you have blog articles around 400 in 2 years you can raise your earnings may be up to $8000 per month.
So it was a timeline to reach $4000 per month in two years. Always remember that your niche has a big role in your income. There are many practical examples exist where bloggers spend few hours per week and earning thousand of dollars per month.
Let’s take a practical example. A person created a blog on the niche “dirt bikes”. He wrote only 9 articles, but he was earning $4000 per month on average. Why he got early success because there was a low competition on that niche, and good number of people were searching for it.
If you target the keyword “Travel” it might take years for you to rank your content because it is a very high competitive niche, instead you can choose a sub-niche of “Travel”. If you do things smartly you will get better results.
12. Important & Helpful Tutorials
Till this point you have covered most of the things relevant to blogging now it is time to do very important things like your blog SEO, displaying blog stats on your dashboard, email delivery configuration, etc.
Go through this article to learn about those WordPress plugins that are essential for a new website.
WordPress does not come with a builtin contact form, you have to install a third-party plugin for that. Contact Form 7 is one of the most installed and popular free WordPress plugin for creating and managing contacts form in your website.
Read This Tutorial:
A sitemap is an XML file that lists the URLs for a website that are available for crawling. It is a way of organizing a website, identifying the URLs and the data under each section. The Sitemaps tells the search engines about pages on their site that are available for crawling.
Crawling is the process by which Googlebots, crawlers & spiders visit new and updated pages to be added to the Google index and other search engines.
Read This Tutorial:
Because of the spam email issues WordPress does not allow its default PHP Function to send emails, so to send emails you need to install third-party plugin. There are many WordPress plugins for sending emails, but we will guide you to configure WP Mail SMTP plugin For Sendinblue Mailer.
Tip: Before you configure WP MAIL SMTP check whether your blog delivers emails or not. Go to your blog’s Contact US Page and send an email to one of your email addresses. If it delivers email you don’t need to configure anything.
If it shows you the error “There was an error trying to send your message. Please try again later” then go through this tutorial.
Read This Tutorial:
Google Search Console is a free SEO tool and a web service by Google, which allows website or blog owners to check indexing status of their pages, tells you about website performance, errors, warnings, coverage, sitemaps, mobile usability, URL inspection, and more.
Google Analytics is a sophisticated tool which provides you detail information about your website traffic, you can get a deeper understanding of your customers/visitors. It helps you to grow your business by analyzing what is working and what is not and how to fix.
By default WordPress does not show your blog’s traffic stats on your dashboard, so to show stats you need to use a third-party WordPress plugin.
The “Site Kit by Google” is a free WordPress plugin to connect Google Search Console & Google Analytics to your website, in order to view traffic & performance statistics on your WordPress Dashboard.
In addition to Google Search Console and Google Analytics we have also guided to how to connect your website to Google AdSense.
Always remember that Google Search Console and Google Analytics are very important for any website. Apply to Google AdSense only if you want to monetize your blog with Google Ads, otherwise skip it.
Read This Tutorial:
Once you create your Google Search Console account and connect to your blog, read this tutorial to connect your WordPress blog to Bing Webmaster Tools. Bing Webmaster Tools is similar to Google Search Console powered by Microsoft.
Read This Tutorial:
So it was all about creating a blog and making money. We tried our best to guide you on blogging from scratch. Don’t care about what people say, keep publishing posts consistently & identify your mistakes, things will come naturally to you. If you survive for a year or two nothing can stop you from achieving success and making big money.
Keep in your mind that blogging is a great career, but it needs consistency!
“Success is the sum of small efforts – repeated day in and day out.”___Robert Collier
If you like this post then don’t forget to share with other people. Share your feedback in the comments section below.