Are you looking for creating your own professional WordPress website and you have no idea whatsoever to how to start? You’re in the right place, we will guide you step-by-step.
It does not matter whether you have got technical background or not, this guide can help anyone who wants to launch his own professional WordPress website having zero knowledge of web development and web designing.
Why You Need A Professional Website?
Whether you are a freelancer, business man, contractor, artist, celebrity, photographer, Amazon seller, sportsman, writer, musician, pets seller, etc, your online presence is crucial to your business or profession. Having a professional website allows you to market your business online, you are connected with the global audience.
WordPress is the most popular content management system, a robust and user-friendly tool to create and manage websites and blogs. According to an estimate 38% to 45% websites on the internet are powered by WordPress.
The two main reasons for immense popularity of WordPress are (1) There are thousands of themes and plugins for any type of website i.e personal, eCommerce, News & Magazine, blog, portfolio, etc (2) WordPress is free and open source means you can customize anything in WordPress like code, functions, themes & plugins, according to your requirements.
WordPress Plugins are programs made up of one or multiple functions that are installed in your WordPress website to enhance it with new features like contact form, online store, sliders, mega menus, gallery, online booking system, currency switcher, timetable, management systems etc. Some plugins are free-of-cost and some are paid.
To launch a professional WordPress website you need three things (1) Domain (2) Web Hosting (3) Website Template/Theme.
- What Is Domain & Web Hosting
- How To Buy Domain & Web Hosting
- How To Install WordPress
- How To Install WordPress Theme
- Important & Helpful Tutorials
01. What Is Domain & Web Hosting
Domain is simply the address of your website that you type in URL bar to access your website. It locates your website on internet like “https://www.meersworld.net/”.
Choosing a right domain name is very important for your website. Often people get confused when it comes to choosing a domain name. So for your help, here are some suggestions to how to choose a right domain name:
- It should be easy to pronounce.
- It should be easy to remember.
- It should be easy to type.
- It should be brandable.
- If you have a personal or portfolio website you can use your own name as well.
- You can also create a domain name from your “Name” and “Business Name”. Let’s say your name is Smith and you have a business of glasses, you can name it “www.smithoptics.com”.
Web hosting is a space or location where you upload/install the content and files of your website. Once you upload/install your website on web hosting it becomes live and people can access your website via the domain of your website.
02. How To Buy Domain & Web Hosting
You must have an idea about domain and web hosting, now follow these steps to buy domain and web hosting. Here we are guiding you to how to buy domain and web hosting on HostGator, one of the leading web hosting provider in the world. It is hosting 2 million+ websites worldwide.
You can also avail our coupon BRANDAPR23 to get an amazing discount, as we have shown in the below steps to how to avail the coupon.
- Go to official website of HostGator(Shared Hosting). Alternative to HostGator: Namecheap Hosting.
- Choose your hosting plan by clicking the “Buy now”.
- Enter the name of your desired domain and choose the extension for your domain like .com, .net, .online, .site, .store, .tech, .space, .club, .info, .org, .co, .me, etc. Every extension owns a different price, some extension worth less whereas some extensions worth high.
- If your desired domain is already taken by someone it will suggest you relevant domains with different extensions. Here we have entered “smithglasses.com” which is available and free for 1 year with the “.com” extension.
- Tick you desired domain and scroll down.
- Untick the “Domain Privacy Protection” because it is adding the cost of ($14.95 per year). Though it is not necessary, but if you wish you can add this.
- Choose your Billing Cycle.
- Choose 12 months or more, so that you don’t have to pay every month or after every 3 months. You can also see that for long billing-cycle periods it is offering more discounts. The 12 months mean you will pay once in a year, 24 months mean you will pay once in 2 years, and 36 months mean you will pay once in 3 years. With some annual billing cycles you get domain for free.
- Enter your Email and some secure Password to create your HostGator account.
- Enter a 4 digit “Security PIN”. It identifies you as the owner of your account.
- Please Save this information i.e Email, Password & PIN in a Notepad file.
- Enter your Billing Info like your First Name, Last Name, Phone Number, Address, Country.
- Choose your Payment Type, Credit Card or PayPal.
- Choose your City, State, Province, etc.
- Enter the Zip Code of your City.
- Fields with red stars are compulsory means you can’t leave them empty.
- Here you can see some additional optional features. If you add them they will add cost to your package. The cost of every additional service is mentioned.
- It is up to you whether you want to add these features or not, but we highly recommend to add “SiteLock Essentials”. It protects your site from malware and malicious attacks and also build visitor’s trust on your website.
- Here you can preview your order before the Checkout.
- Enter our coupon code BRANDAPR23 and click “Validated”. You can see the Discount of $108.95 for this order.
- Here you can see that the yearly cost of domain and web hosting is only $88.32
- Once you complete your order and successfully purchase hosting package you will get Welcome Email containing the information relevant to your new hosting package.
- Copy your email information into a Notepad file and save in your computer. Once your save this information delete this email because it contains important credentials.
- The “Your Control Panel:” is the URL to access your cPanel. The cPanel is the place from which you control and manage your website and email accounts.
- The cPanel URL will be similar to this: “https://gator1111.hostgator.com:2083“.
- The “Username” is your cPanel username.
- The “Password” is your cPanel password.
- This information will be used in the next step.
03. How To Install WordPress
- Open your cPanel using your cPanel URL as provided in your welcome email. It will be similar to this: https://gator1111.hostgator.com:2083.
- Enter your cPanel Username.
- Enter your cPanel Password.
- Click “Log in” button.
- Scroll-down to “SOFTWARE” section.
- Click “Softaculous Apps Installer”.
- Softaculous is an auto installer that helps to install commercial and open source web applications like WordPress, Joomla, Magento etc, on your web hosting account.
- Click “Install” to start the installation process.
- Click the “Install” button. It will install a fresh copy of WordPress.
- Now you have to fill some information here.
- In “Choose the version you want to install” select the latest WordPress version. By default the latest version of WordPress is selected.
- In the “Choose Installation URL” settings select “https://” in “Choose Protocol” and select your domain in “Choose Domain“. Leave the “In Directory” field empty. If “wp” is already written in this field, remove it.
- In the “Site Settings” enter your website name in the “Site Name” and enter the website description in the “Site Description”. The Site Description tells visitors what your website is all about, so write a meaningful description.
- In the “Admin Username” enter a username.
- In the “Admin Password” enter a secure password.
- In the “Admin Email” enter you email.
- This is the information that you will use to login into your website’s admin section.
- In the “Select Language” choose your desired language.
- Leave these sections i.e “Select Plugin(S)”, “Advanced Options” & “Select Theme” as it is.
- If you want to choose a free WordPress theme you can choose one here, it will be installed with WordPress, but if you want to install a professional WordPress theme follow the “How To Install WordPress Theme” after this section.
- Click the “Install” button at the bottom.
- The installation process will be started…
- Once the WordPress is installed successfully you will get a Congratulations message.
- It will also show you the admin section link(Administrative URL) of your website. It will be similar to “https://www.abc.com/wp-admin/“. The “abc.com” will be replaced with your domain.
- Your WordPress admin section will be similar to this. You can publish posts, You can change settings, You can change/install themes, You can install/uninstall plugins, etc.
- To update the basic settings of your website Click Settings.
- Click “General”.
- In the “Site Title” enter the name of your website or something relevant to your website. This information is displayed on two places (1) Top of your browser beside favicon (2) Google search results.
- In the “Tagline” provide a brief description about your website.
- In the “WordPress Address (URL)” enter your domain address like “https://abc.com”.
- In the “Site Address (URL)” enter your domain address again.
- In the “Administration Email Address” enter your email address. You can use either your private email address or your public email address such as Gmail’s, Yahoo’s, etc. Private email address is the one with your domain address such as “firstname.lastname@example.org”, “email@example.com”, etc. Learn: How To Create Email Account With Domain Name – Business Email
- It also asks you for Site Language, Timezone, Date Format, City etc. Once you are done, click “Save Changes” at bottom.
04. How To Install WordPress Theme
You’re done with WordPress installation, now it is time to install a professional WordPress theme. Though there are free WordPress themes, but always remember that free WordPress themes need lot of customization and fixes. In other words if you use free WordPress theme you might need someone’s help.
Instead of using free theme you can buy a professional responsive WordPress theme for once, so that you won’t need any customization or fixes, everything will be ready for you.
- Go to official website of ThemeForest and search for your desired WordPress theme.
- Do a live preview of your WordPress theme and purchase it.
- Once you purchase a theme you will get your download link within seconds.
- Go to official website of CodeCanyon and search for your desired plugin.
05. Important & Helpful Tutorials
Since you have successfully created your WordPress website, now it is time to do some important things like your website SEO, Mailer configuration etc.
Go through this article to learn about those 5 essential WordPress plugins that a new website needs.
WordPress does not come with a builtin contact form, you have to install a third-party plugin for that. Read this tutorial to learn how to add a contact form in a separate page.
Because of spam email issues WordPress does not allow its default PHP Function to send emails, so to send emails you need to install third-party plugin. There are many WordPress plugins for sending emails, but we will guide you to configure WP Mail SMTP plugin For Sendinblue Mailer.
Google Search Console is a free SEO tool and a web service by Google, which allows website or blog owners to check indexing status of their pages, tells you about website performance, errors, warnings, URL inspection, coverage, sitemaps, mobile usability and more.
Google Analytics is a sophisticated tool which provides you detail information about your website traffic, you can get a deeper understanding of your customers/visitors. It helps you to grow your business by analyzing what is working and what is not and how to fix.
The Site Kit by Google is a WordPress plugin to connect Google Search Console & Google Analytics to your website, in order to view traffic & performance statistics on your WordPress Dashboard. In addition to Google Search Console and Google Analytics we have also guided to how to connect your website to Google AdSense.