Not only File Explorer shows the recently opened files, but also some of the other builtin Windows apps like Notepad. When you right-click on Notepad icon pinned in Windows Taskbar, it lists all your recently opened files.
Now why it is not a good idea to turn off the Recent Items & Frequent Places is that, for instance you save your credentials like passwords or emails in a Notepad file. Now you think that you have hid your file, but it will be shown in Recent Items & Frequent Places or when someone will right-click on Notepad icon from Taskbar.
Take another example, let’s say you open some private pictures or videos that you don’t want others to see, but if the Recent Items & Frequent Places are turned-on people can see those pictures there. So it is better to turn off the Recent Items & Frequent Places because privacy is more important than the quick access.
When you turn off Recent Items & Frequent Places it will be applied to all the applications in Windows.
In this tutorial we will guide you step-by-step to how to Turn-off Recent Items and Frequent Places from Quick Access in Windows 10.
- This is how your Quick Access looks like when they are turned-on.
- To remove them manually one by one or specific ones, right-click on the folder or file and click Remove from Quick access. Remember that this will not turn-off Recent Items & Frequent Places, this will only remove individual items. Follow the steps below to turn them off at once & permanently.
Turn-Off Recent Items
- On Windows Search Bar type Settings.
- Click Settings Or you can also open Settings from Desktop.
- Right-click on Desktop.
- Click Personalize.
- Click Start.
- Turn-off “Show recently added apps.
- Turn-off “Show recently opened items in Jump Lists in Start or the taskbar”.
Turn-Off Frequent Places
- Click Files.
- Click “Change folder and search options”.
- Click Clear button to clear the Explorer history.
- Untick “Show frequently used folder in Quick access”.
- Click OK.
- Now when you will open the File Explorer or Quick Access, you will see only the Default Quick Access folder, all other history will be removed.
- If you want to remove the Default folders as well, right-click on the folder and click Remove from Quick access.
What If Someone Turns-On Recent Items & Frequent Places Again?
For instances someone is using your computer and turns-on Recent Items & Frequent Places, will he be able to see all your recently opened folders and files in Quick Access? Answer is NO. He will see only those items and folder which he will open after turning-on the Recent Items & Frequent Places. You don’t need to worry about this.
If you like this post then don’t forget to share with other people. Share your feedback in the comments section below.
- How To Configure Gmail On Outlook | Grant Outlook Access To Gmail Account | Enable POP On Gmail
- How To Defragment Hard Disk In Windows 10 | Improve Computer Efficiency | Windows 10
- How To Run Disk Cleanup On Windows 10? | Free Up Hard Disk Space On Windows 10
- How To Shrink A Volume Or Partition In Windows 10 | How To Do Partitioning In Windows 10? | Disk Management