WebP is the advance and next-generation image format which is used to optimize the image size without losing its quality. It decreases the image size to a great extent. Now why WebP image format is getting popularity is because it improves your website SEO.
WebP images are loaded faster than the JPEG & PNG images particularly in smartphones. So from SEO point of view it is a good practice to use the WebP images.
Now the problem is that when you download or save a WebP image in your computer it does not open with your image viewers and editors. So in order to use or view the WebP images they are needed to be converted to JPEG or PNG image formats.
There are so many ways you can convert WebP to JPEG or PNG, but the simplest & most easiest method to convert WebP images is by using Microsoft Paint. MS Paint is a powerful and lightweight Windows tool which is by default installed with Windows in your computer.
- Right-click on the WebP image.
- You can see here that it is a WebP file.
- Hover your mouse arrow over Open With.
- Click Paint.
- Click Save icon at top-right corner or press CTRL + S.
- You can see that its format is HEIC(.heic).
- Click “Save as type” drop-down list to expand.
- Choose JPEG or PNG.
- Click Save.
- Paint will show you a pop-up notification “Any transparency will be lost if you save this picture. Do you want to continue?”.
- Click OK.
- Now you can see that WebP image format has been converted to JPEG image format.
- Now you can open this image with any image viewer or editor.
Do You Want To Optimize Your JPEG & PNG Image Size?
Most of the blogging platforms do not support WebP image format means they will not allow to upload WebP images. You can either upload JPEG or PNG images. If you upload JPEG & PNG images as it is they will effect your website SEO because their size is larger as compare to WebP images.